Obtaining a visa for your studies abroad

Obtaining a visa for your studies abroad

Studying abroad is a unique and wonderful experience. Surely you have spent plenty of time choosing a course, a school, a city and now it is time to start thinking of administrative procedures. Obtaining a visa and enrolling in your new university are the most important steps and you should dedicate time to them. No worries, your Educartis counsellor will help you throughout the whole process.
In this this article we will summarize the main steps of the process and provide you with some useful links to find more information.

Enrolling in your new school / university
Your decision has been made, you are leaving! Perfect, it’s time to look for the ideal training for you. Thanks to Educartis you will easily find something that is in accordance with your background and meets your expectations. When you find the school you want to attend and make sure you meet the admission criteria, you are ready to enroll.

Firstly, a registration form must be accurately filled (you can generally do it online). According to your chosen studies you might have to take an examination or do an interview, our counsellor will explain you everything you need to know. Pay special attention to the registration deadline and start the process as soon as possible.

First deposit to validate the enrollment
You will normally have to put down a deposit for part of the enrollment costs immediately after sending your registration form. Then, depending on the school, you may have to make a payment either before your arrival at the school or afterwards. For security reasons do not send or give money in cash or make a deposit to an account if you are not totally sure about the owner.

Starting the process of obtaining your visa
Obtaining a visa could take some time (up to 2 or 3 months), so it is very important to start the process as soon as you have confirmation of your enrollment. The forms you will need fill in, the required conditions you will have to meet and the documents you will have to provide will vary from one destination country to another. They will also depend on your own country.

The first thing you will have to do is enter the website of the embassy or consulate of the country you want to go to and look for all the information you need: documents to provide, deadlines, forms, etc… Very often you will have to schedule an interview. It is also important to know that several countries (USA and UK, for example) request a proof of solvency for the whole duration of your stay.

Buy your flight
When your visa has been accepted you will be able to book your flight. The sooner you buy it the less expensive it will be.

Departure meeting
Your Educartis counselor will give you all the important papers and advice you will need for your trip and stay: what you have to do when you arrive, who the contact person is, where your accommodation is, etc… Any doubt you have, just ask!

So, now that we have a global idea of the entire process, we will get a bit more into detail on the application procedures. Depending on your destination country your visa application will be more or less complicated, we tried to cover the most important elements. Please keep in mind that this article is for information purposes only and is not fully comprehensive. The most reliable source for all your questions and doubts is always the local embassy or consulate of the destination country.

If you are going to study in a country part of the Shengen area, it is interesting to know that it exists a global short period visa for stays of less than 3 months in the whole area.

“Schengen area covers the majority of European countries, except for the United Kingdom and countries such as Romania, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus and Ireland soon to be part of the agreement. However, there are countries that are not part of the EU like Norway, Iceland, Switzerland and Lichtenstein yet do belong in the Schengen area and cherish the free movement policy.”
More info: link

3 types of visa:

Short Term Study visa
Up to months
89 GPB

Short Term Study visa extendida
Up to 11 months

Tier 4 (General) student visa
12 months
328 GPB

UK is one of the countries that requires proof of solvency. You will have to demonstrate you have enough money to support yourself and pay for your course – the amount will vary depending on your circumstances.
You can apply from 3 months before the start of your course.
More information here

2 types of visa

visa de court séjour shengen
Up to 3 months

Le visa de long séjour pour études-titre de séjour (VLS-TS)
Up to 12 months

“The student visa process is not easy, nor simple. It must be well prepared. Once you get the admission, and at least two months before your intended departure prepare for the student visa:
1. Gather the required documents
2. Meet the program officer for an interview
3. Submit your application, go for the biometrics & pay for your visa at the visa section”

You should know that students from 30 countries must apply for a visa in the Campus France website : link (information in English, French and Spanish)


“Generally, a citizen of a foreign country who wishes to enter the United States must first obtain a visa, either a nonimmigrant visa for temporary stay, or an immigrant visa for permanent residence. You must have a student visa to study in the United States. Your course of study and the type of school you plan to attend determine the type of visa you need”

3 types of visa for students :

Exchange visitor visa
For participation in an approved exchange program.

Student visas
For academic and vocational studies

Visitor visa
For visiting schools and taking short recreational, non-credit courses

The visa process for USA could be a little tricky: there are a lot of types of visas, many conditions, etc… You will generally have to complete the online visa application and schedule an interview with the US consulate or embassy in your country.

All the info here


Short stay visa Shenghen
Up to 3 months

Long stay (D)
Up to 6 months

There is a visa (type D) for studies that allows you to stay in Spain for a period of up to 180 days (visado D Estudios hasta 180 días). This type of visa does not allow you to obtain the Residence Card for foreign students (TIE).

Those non-EU citizens who are going to study in Spain for a period of more than six months have to apply for an “open” visa for studies (type D). This type of visa (visado D Estudios, Investigación) is valid for three months to enter the Schengen Area and once you have entered Spain you have to obtain the Student Residence Card for Foreigners (TIE) in order to remain legally in Spain.”
More information here and here


Visa Turistico
Up to 90 days

Visa estudiante VITEM IV
Up to 1 year

According to the country of origin, you will be able to enter Brazil with a tourist visa if your stay is not longer than 3 months. If your stay exceeds 3 month you will have to apply for a student visa VITEM. A vaccine against yellow fever is requested and it is recommended to get health insurance.
All the info here.

Sources :